- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic , finely minced
2 lbs lean ground beef
1 large yellow onion , finely chopped
- 1/2 cup water or beef broth
2 Tbsp chili powder
2 (14.5) oz cans diced tomatoes with green chilies*
3 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
2 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
Salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
1 (15 oz) can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat olive oil in a large and deep non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, add onion and saute 3 minutes, then add garlic and saute 30 seconds longer. Pour onions into a 6 or 7 quart slow cooker.
- Return skillet to medium-high eat, add beef and cook stirring occasionally until beef has browned. Drain most of fat from beef, leaving about 2 Tbsp in with beef (this is optional, I think it ads flavor but you can drain it all if you'd prefer). Pour browned beef into slow cooker.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, 1/2 cup water or beef broth, chili powder, cumin, paprika, cocoa powder, sugar, coriander and season mixture with salt and pepper to taste. Stir mixture, cover with lid and cook on low heat for 5 - 6 hours.
- Stir in dark and light red kidney beans and allow to heat through, about 10 minutes (if you want the soup to have more liquid you can add in another 1/2 cup water or beef broth). Serve warm with desired toppings (I say the cheese and sour cream is a must, everything else is optional).
*If you don't like heat then you can use canned tomatoes without green chiles since they are a little spicy.
Recipe Source: Cooking Classy