Yields 4 - 6 servings.
- 1 chuck roast (mine was 3 pounds)
- Olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 stalks celery, cut into large chunks (optional)
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
SEASONING MIX -
2 tablespoons steak seasoning (mine is store-bought and has a blend of peppercorns, garlic, paprika, parsley and salt)
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon dried rosemary
Combine together seasoning mix in a small bowl. Set aside.
Coat both sides of meat with olive oil. Sprinkle on a third of the seasoning mix onto each side.
Sear both sides of the meat in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Transfer roast to slow cooker.
Place the vegetables in a large bowl. Drizzle on a little olive oil to coat vegetables. Sprinkle on the remaining seasoning mix. Add the vegetables to the same skillet that was used to sear the meat. Sauté for about five minutes - stirring occasionally.
Transfer the vegetables to the top of the roast in the slow cooker. Pour in the beef broth. Cover with lid.