Almond Butter Sticks are a melt-in-your-mouth delicious, tender cookie made with a cream cheese dough and an almond extract sugar filling
Recipe type: Cookie
Serves: 28 cookies
- ¾ cup granulated sugar1½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- ½ cup unsalted butter, plus 1 tablespoon (divided)
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg, separated (white is reserved for glazing)
- ⅓ cup sliced almonds
- 1 teaspoon coarse sugar for topping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the sugar and almond extract; cover and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder.
- In a large mixing bowl combine 8 tablespoons (1/2 cup) butter and cream cheese. Beat on low until blended. Add the egg yolk and blend until smooth. Add half the flour mixture and beat on low until combined. Add the remaining dough and blend just until the dough starts to come together.
- Transfer the dough to a floured work surface. Knead by hand about 25 strokes until the dough is pliable. Roll or press into a 12x12 inch square. Spread with the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Cut the dough in half and place one half on the prepared cookie sheet, butter side up.
- Spoon the sugar mixture to within ½-inch of the dough edges all the way around. Place the remaining dough half, butter side down, over the sugar. Press the edges tightly to seal.
- Brush the dough with a lightly beaten egg white. Sprinkle with almonds and coarse sugar.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. It's best removed from the oven when you think it needs one or two more minutes.
- Cool at least 30 minutes.
- Cut the pastry in half lengthwise and then into ½ to 1 inch strips crosswise.
- Store in an airtight container.
Slightly adapted from a recipe by Pillsbury