The BEST vegan brownies you’ve ever had: divinely rich, fudgy, moist brownies bursting with chocolate flavor.
Author: Demeter | Beaming Baker
Recipe type: dessert, brownies, vegan
Serves: 16 brownies
- ½ cup organic dark brown sugar or coconut sugar
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup natural, unsalted almond butter
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (vanilla is okay)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup vegan chocolate chips
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flax + 6 tablespoons water whisked together, set for 15 mins)
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons white whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper or greased foil. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together almond butter, brown sugar, maple syrup and melted coconut oil. Whisk until it resembles caramel.
- Add cocoa powder in ¼ cup increments, whisking until shiny and smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Add in almond extract and salt. Stir just a few times to gently incorporate.
- Add flax eggs in, whisking until well incorporated. In thirds, whisk in the flour. As the batter gets harder to whisk, switch to folding with a rubber spatula. Fold until well incorporated and no flour patches remain.
- Gently fold in chocolate chips. Pour batter into pan. Using a rubber spatula, smooth batter into an even layer.
- Bake for 25-30 mins. Cool for 1 hour, or until completely cool. Slice into 16 brownies. Enjoy!