Recipe type: Potatoes, Casserole, Side Dish
- 5 lbs Russet potatoes, sliced ⅛" thick
- 2 cups onions, chopped small¼ cup flour
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup butter (½ stick)
- 8 oz sour cream
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, grated, divided
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 1 Tbs salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp Slap Ya Mama® seasoning
- 1 cup pepper jack cheese, grated
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400° and spray a 14 x 11½ x 2¼ baking dish with a non stick spray. Set aside.
- Peel and thinly slice potatoes, approximately ⅛" thick. Place in a large bowl until ready to use.
- In a large frying pan, melt butter over low flame then add onions and garlic. Saute for about 4-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over onion mixture, stir and cook for a couple minutes.
- Gently pour vegetable broth into pan and stir, add salt and pepper, seasoning and heavy cream. Stir until thickened, remove from heat just prior to boiling and then add 2 cups of cheddar cheese. Stir.
- Layer ⅓ of the potato slices in baking dish then add ⅓ of the sour cream and ⅓ of the cheese sauce over the potatoes.
- Top with ⅓ of the Parmesan, ⅓ pepper jack cheese and ⅓ of cheddar cheese.
- Repeat layering 2 more times ending with cheddar cheese.
- Cover with foil and place in oven. Cook for 1½ - 2 hours.
- About 15 - 20 minutes prior to potatoes being done, remove foil to brown the cheese a bit.
- Remove from oven, let sit for about 15 minutes, then enjoy.
Cooking time may vary depending on how thin the potatoes are sliced.