Prep time: 15 mins Cook time: 25 mins Total time: 40 mins
These creamy mashed potatoes are shockingly good! Velvety and holiday worthy mashed potatoes.
Skill Level: Easy
Cost To Make: $4-$6
Serving: 6 to 8 as a side
- 2 sticks (226 grams) unsalted butter at room temperature (not melted)
- 1½ tsp salt, or to taste (we used sea salt)
- 4 lbs (12 medium) russet potatoes, peeled
- 1¼ cups hot milk (we used whole milk)
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley or chives, finely chopped for garnish (optional)
- Peel potatoes (cut potatoes in half if very large). If you want the smoothest potatoes possible, remove the little knots from the potatoes with a small spoon or the tip of a potatoes peeler. Place potatoes in a large pot (5 Qt+) and cover potatoes with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook partially covered until easily pierced with a knife (boil 20-25 min depending on the size of your potatoes; mine took 22 min).
- Drain well and transfer to the bowl of your stand mixer. Grab the whisk attachment and mash potatoes lightly by hand to break them up. Fit mixer with whisk attachment and start on low speed 30 sec then increase to medium and slowly drizzle in the HOT milk.
- With mixer on, add softened butter 1 Tbsp at a time, waiting a few seconds between each addition. Potatoes will be whipped and fluffy. Finally add 1½ tsp salt, or add to taste.
To keep mashed potatoes warm until serving: cover potatoes and place into a warm oven or transfer to a slow cooker on the low setting to keep potatoes warm until ready to serve.