Preparation 5 min
Cook Time 15 min
Total Time 20 mins
Serves 4 cups
Creamy Seafood Chowder - This creamy seafood chowder recipe begins with an easy-to-make homemade seafood stock, to which potatoes, shrimp, crab, and lobster meat are added. | Recipe on itsyummi.comSave
Print Shopping List
Flavorful and easy to make, this seafood chowder has a base of homemeade seafood stock. It is packed with potatoes, shrimp, crab meat, and chopped lobster meat
- 1 large onion (white or yellow), diced small
- 1 large celery stalk, diced medium
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small carrots, diced small
- 32 ounces (1 quart) seafood stock ( homemade recipe here )
- 1 large russet potato, diced medium
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (more or less to your taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup half and half (or whole milk)
- 8 ounces (1/2 pound) cooked seafood of your choice** (I used medium shrimp, chopped lobster tail, and crab meat)
- Add olive oil to a 3 quart or larger soup pot over medium heat. When oil begins to shimmer, stir in carrot, onion, and celery, and saute until onion is translucent, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and saute for another minute, stirring constantly so that garlic doesn't burn.
- Sprinkle flour over the vegetables and stir to combine. They will appear pasty. Turn heat up to medium high and slowly whisk in seafood stock, about 1/4 cup at a time, until all stock has been incorporated.
- Turn heat to high and bring to a light boil. Add potatoes and all seasonings and reduce heat slightly. Cook 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are fork tender.
- In the final 3 minutes of cooking time, stir in cooked seafood** and half and half or milk.
- Taste and add additional seasonings as desired.
- Ladle into soup bowls and enjoy!