Total Time 15 minutes
Servings 5 cups
Calories 71 kcal
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Pinch of salt
- 4 large egg whites room temperature
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- Order Ingredients Powered by Chicory
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract optional
- Fill a medium to large pot with 1 inch of water and bring to a simmer.
- In a large heat-proof bowl (or the bowl of your stand mixer), whisk together egg whites, sugar, cream of tartar, and salt.
- Place bowl over the simmering water on the stove, making sure the bottom of the bowl is not touching the water. Heat, whisking constantly until eggs reach 120°F.
- Remove bowl from heat and use your hand mixer or electric mixer to beat the egg whites on high for 5 minutes or until light and fluffy with peaks that mostly hold their shape.
- If desired, add vanilla extract and beat for another 30 seconds until well-mixed.
- Transfer immediately to a piping bag or use a large plastic bag with the tip cut off to pipe onto cupcakes.
- Very carefully brown under your broiler or toast with a kitchen torch. This step is optional, but the frosting is quite sticky until toasted.
This makes about 5 cups of frosting, enough to generously frost 12 cupcakes.