Author: Kim Suddeath
For the veggies:
- 1 red onion, quartered and sliced1 tomato, chopped
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 2 zucchini, halved and sliced
- 2 Japanese eggplants, halved and sliced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt to taste
For the chickpeas:
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chili paste (I used sambal oelek)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
For the mango tahini sauce:
- ½ cup tahini
- 1 clove garlic, minced½ cup water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup canned mango slices (in light syrup)
- juice of 1 lemon
- Brown basmati or texmati rice
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Red onion, for garnish
- Start by prepping vegetables.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (F).
- When finished washing and chopping vegetables, add them to a 9x13 baking dish.
- Add the coriander, smoked paprika, cumin, salt, and olive oil. Toss vegetables in oil and spices, then roast in the oven at 400 F for 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender and have burnt edges. You will need to stir them once to ensure even cooking. Take out and let cool when finished.
- Meanwhile, add chickpeas to a separate 7x11 or 9x13 baking dish.
- Add the chili paste, garlic, and olive oil. Toss until evenly coated, then roast in oven at 400 F for 20 minutes. Take out and let cool when finished.
- Prepare mango tahini sauce by adding tahini, garlic, mango, lemon juice and salt to a sauce bowl. Add enough water to reach desired consistency (about ½ cup is needed).
- To assemble each bowl, add ⅓ part chickpeas, ⅓ part basmati brown rice, and ⅓ part roasted vegetables. Top with mango tahini sauce and garnish with cilantro and red onions. Serve and enjoy!
*Mango tahini sauce adapted from The New Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone cookbook by Deborah Madison