This Mushroom Ricotta Open-Faced Sandwich is a total treat for mushroom lovers!
Course: Main Course
Servings: 4 sandwiches
Calories: 531 kcal
- 1 large onion, diced
- 24 oz mushrooms, sliced
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp chives, minced (divided)
- 4 slices rustic-style bread (sliced thick)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15-oz.) container ricotta
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion to pan and saute until browned, stirring frequently.
- Stir mushrooms into pan and cook, stirring often, until mushrooms are almost completely browned.
- Reduced heat to medium and allow pan to cool for a couple minutes.
- Mix garlic into mushrooms and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds to 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove mushrooms from heat, then season generously with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Combine ricotta with 1 tbsp. chives, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Lightly brush one side of each bread slice with olive oil. Place slices oil side down on the baking sheet.
- Top each bread slice with ricotta, then mushrooms.
- Sprinkle each sandwich with Gruyere cheese.
- Bake sandwiches for about 15 minutes, or until toppings are hot and bread is browned on bottom.
- Remove sandwiches from oven, then sprinkle with remaining 1 tbsp. chives.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!