Serves 5-12; Varies depending on size of ramekins, 12 max
Prep Time 20 mins Cook Time 25 mins Total Time 45 mins
An elegant citrus dessert made in individual ramekins
Sugar, for dusting ramekins
Butter, at room temperature to butter ramekins
- 9 large egg whites
- 2 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 8 large egg yolks
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest, finely grated
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (I used 1 1/2 lemons)
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Powdered sugar to garnish
- 10 ounces frozen raspberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Raspberry sauce for serving, if desired
- Fresh raspberries to garnish, if desired
- Preheat oven to 375º. Generously butter 12 6-ounce ramekins, then coat with sugar.
- Whisk together yolks, flour, zest and half the sugar (1/4 cup).
- Bring milk to boil in a saucepan. Slowly pour milk into yolk mixture, whisking constantly to prevent yolks from cooking. Return mixture to pan and whisk, while cooking, till thick like a pudding, 1-2 minutes. Strain through a sieve, then stir in butter and lemon juice.
- Beat egg whites till foamy. Gradually add remaining ¼ cup sugar and whip till medium firm peaks form. Stir ⅓ of whites into yolk mixture. Fold in remaining whites gently with spatula.
- Fill each soufflé cup to the top, tap to settle, and smooth the top with a spatula. Run your thumb around the inside perimeter of each dish. Place soufflés on a baking sheet and bake 15-18 minutes till they rise about an inch above the rim but are still jiggly in the center. Lightly dust with powdered sugar and serve immediately with raspberry sauce if desired.
- To make the raspberry sauce, cook raspberries and sugar till fruit is soft and breaking apart. Strain through sieve. Add squeeze of lemon juice. Cool before serving.