PREP TIME: 20 MINS
COOK TIME: 10 MINS
TOTAL TIME: 30 MINS
Asparagus are coated in panko and parmesan cheese and baked until crispy for a healthier alternative to regular fries.
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- cooking oil spray
- 1 lb asparagus stalks, trimmed (try to choose the regular stalks as opposed to slim or extra thick stalks)
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a three quarter baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread panko crumbs evenly across the lined baking sheet, keeping your panko crumbs to a thin layer. Spray panko crumbs surface with cooking oil spray.
- Bake panko crumbs for about 5 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and let cool. Turn oven heat to 425°F.
- Once bread crumbs are cooled, mix in 1/2 cup parmesan cheese while panko remains on the pan. Then spread out mixture evenly across baking sheet again. Line a separate three quarter baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a container long enough to fit asparagus, pour in whisked eggs. I used an 8 inch loaf pan. In a separate container long enough to fit asparagus, pour in flour.
- Coat asparagus lightly in egg. Shake off excess egg and then lightly coat asparagus in flour. Tap asparagus a few times against container to shake off excess flour. Coat asparagus in egg again and shake off excess egg. Make sure that you thoroughly shake off any excess egg drippings before rolling in panko because the panko will not stick if it gets too moist. Place asparagus in panko mixture and press panko crumbs onto the asparagus. Avoid trying to roll the asparagus across all of the panko crumbs because it will cause many of the crumbs to get too moist and they won't stick to the asparagus. Keeping the panko spread out on the sheet rather than having them in one container should help keep most of them from getting too moist. Set coated asparagus aside on empty lined baking sheet. Repeat until all asparagus is used up.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes at 425F, or until asparagus is cooked and the outside coating is crispy. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.