- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts and/or thighs
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Oil for frying
- Place chicken pieces in a large resealable food storage bag. Add all marinade ingredients and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight to marinate.
- In pie pan, mix flour and all remaining chicken ingredients except oil. Heat about 1/2 inch oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat.
- Remove chicken pieces from marinade a few at a time, allowing excess to drip off. Roll chicken in flour mixture until well coated. Add chicken to hot oil in skillet, a few pieces at a time until all pieces are in skillet. Cover; cook over medium-high heat 10 minutes or until deep golden brown. Discard marinade.
- Uncover skillet. Turn chicken; cook 5 to 8 minutes longer or until juice of chicken is clear when center of thickest part is cut (170°F for breasts; 180°F for thighs). Drain chicken on several layers of paper towels. Serve warm, or refrigerate and serve cold.