yield: ABOUT 20 LARGE CUTOUT COOKIES
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (112g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (207g) sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 1/4 cups (293g) all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cookie sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
2. Cream butter and sugar together for 3-4 minutes, until light and fluffy.
3. Add egg and vanilla extract and mix until combined.
4. Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl, then add to wet ingredients and mix until well combined. Dough will be very thick. You might need to use a spatula or your hands to help it all come together.
4. On a lightly floured surface and using smaller amounts of dough at a time, roll out dough to about 1/8 to a 1/4 inch. If dough sticks to rolling pin, lightly sprinkle the top of the dough with flour.
5. Use cookie cutters to cut out cookies, then transfer to cookie sheet.
6. Bake cookies 7-9 minutes. Remove from oven just before they start to brown on the edges.
7. Allow cookies to cool for 4-5 minutes, then move to cooling rack to finish cooling.
NOTE: The best way to measure the dry ingredients for this recipe to ensure your cookie dough isn’t dry is to measure them by weight. If you don’t have a scale though, be sure not to pack the flour into your measuring cup. I usually store my flour in a separate container from the bag I bought it in, then prior to measuring I use a spoon or other utensil to loosen the flour. I use a scoop to scoop out the flour, then level it with the flat side of a knife. Don’t tap the scoop to settle the flour or pack in the flour.