This gingerbread layer cake with cinnamon cream cheese frosting is simply perfect for Christmas celebrations.
Author: Lucy Parissi
Recipe type: Cake
Serves: 3x20cm | 8in layers
- For the gingerbread cake
- Dry ingredients
- 350g | 12.3oz plain flour
- 330g | 11.6oz dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tbsp treacle (molasses)
- 200g | 7oz cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 200ml | 7fl oz whole milk + 1 tbsp fresh orange or lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- zest of 1 orange
- 3 tbsp very finely diced candied (crystallised) ginger
For the frosting
- 300g | 10.5oz full-fat cream cheese
- ½ tbsp ground cinnamon (or vanilla paste)
- 400g | 14oz double cream, whipped to soft peaks
- 200g | 7oz icing (powdered) sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180C (350F). Grease and line three cake tins - or spray with cake release.
- Sift all the dry ingredients and add them to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on low speed to combine.
- Add the cubed butter and mix for a couple of minutes until the mixture resembles sand.
- Add the eggs, one by one, mixing well after each addition. Mix in the treacle.
- Add the milk, vanilla extract and zest and beat together. Stop and scrape the bottom and sides of the mixing bowl. Continue mixing for a couple of minutes until batter is smooth.
- Fold the chopped ginger into the batter and divide between the prepared cake tins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
- Make the frosting. Whip the double cream and icing sugar (using your stand mixer) till you have soft peaks. Transfer to another bowl.
- Place the cream cheese and ground cinnamon in the bowl of your stand mixer and whip until soft and fluffy. Slowly add the whipped cream and whip together briefly until combined. Don't whip for too long.
- Add a generous amount of frosting on your bottom cake layer and smooth. Top with the second layer and repeat. Add the third layer and then smooth some frosting over the top and sides of the cake. You can leave the cake showing through to achieve the 'naked' cake
Full Recipe Source: https://www.supergoldenbakes.com/2014/12/gingerbread-cake-with-cinnamon-crea.html