Super easy 4-ingredients Healthy Taco Shells recipe made from carrots ! Make your own soft shell taco in a minute far better-tasting than store bought taco shells.
Course: Main Course
Servings: 4 soft taco shells
Calories: 107 kcal
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoon Gluten Free Oat Flour
- 1 1/2 cup grated carrot , packed (about 200 g) + 1/2 cup tap water to cook
- 1/2 cup grated cheese I used cheddar (75g)
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt if desired, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper if desired, optional
- Wash, peel and grate carrots.
- Place them into a bowl cover with 1/2 cup tap water. Microwave 5 minutes.
- Drain and place the cooked grated carrots into a clean absorbent paper or towel.
- Firmly squeeze out the extra water until the grated carrot are don't contain any water. You can also pat dry the cooked grated carrots between two sheets f absorbent paper to prevent too much moisture. This is a very important step. If the carrots are too moist the tacos will not hold well together.
- Place into a bowl and add the grated cheese, eggs, oat flour, salt and pepper. Combine until it forms a sort of batter.
- Prepare a baking tray covered with baking paper. Set aside.
- Place small portion of the carrot mixture onto the prepared tray. I used a 5 cm mechanical Ice cream scoop maker to measure equal quantity and I split the whole batter into 4 portions.
- Press with your finger to compact the carrot onto the tray as a flat circle.
- Bake at 390 F (200 C) for 15 minutes or until crispy on the sides.
- Gently remove the carrot tacos from the baking paper by lifting them from the side, using your finger or a tongue.
- Eat warm filled with filling of your choice.
- If you want to create a taco like shape. Cool down the shells on a bottle . I used small (17 oz) 500 ml bottle of water but any small bottle like beer bottles will work. The carrot taco will harden slightly when cooling down.
Cheese options: you can use any hard grated cheese in this recipe, low fat or full fat cheese. My favorite option are grated Edam, mozzarella or cheddar
Cooking carrots without microwave: simply bring 1/2 cup water to boil, add the grated carrots and cook for 3 minutes. Drain and pat dry on absorbent paper before adding to the batter.
Gluten free option: replace oat flour by almond meal
Storage: store the carrot taco shells on a plate covered with plastic wrap to avoid them to dry out. They will soften when cold.
Freeze: freeze the baked taco shells in a airtight plastic bag or container. You can add a layer of parchment paper between each taco shells to avoid them to stick together. Defrost in a warm oven within 3 minutes.