6 sandwich cookies
FOR THE COOKIES
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup peanut butter
FOR THE FILLING
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup peanut butter, room temperature
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir the cookie ingredients together until smooth. Scoop out 1 inch balls of cookie dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Press down with the back of a fork and then press again from the opposite direction, to make the criss-cross pattern on top of each cookie.
- To make the cookie dough into the shape of a Nutter Butter cookie, form the cookie dough ball into a log shape.
- Roll the cookie dough in sugar (optional).
- Press down with the back of a fork and then press again from the opposite direction, to make the criss-cross pattern on top of each cookie. Finish by pinching in both sides of each cookie before baking.
- Bake for 12 minutes and then let cool on the tray for 1-2 more minutes.
- For the filling: beat the butter and peanut butter in a big bowl with a hand mixer together until smooth.
- Slowly add in your powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add the milk, one tablespoon at a time until the desired consistency is reached.
- Spread a tablespoon of the filling onto the bottom side of one of the cookies and then top with another cookie to create a cookie sandwich…a nutter butter sandwich!