This hearty vegan lasagna is made with layers of noodles, rich cashew ricotta and hearty mushrooms and lentils simmered in spicy tomato sauce.
Cuisine American, Italian
Prep Time 25 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour 15 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 40 minutes
Calories 516 kcal
- About 12-16 dried lasagna noodles just under a pound
For the Mushroom Lentil Sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 8 oz. cremini mushrooms, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-28 oz. can Redpack Crushed Tomatoes
- 1-28 oz. can Redpack Diced Tomatoes
- 1 cup dried green lentils
- 2 tbsp. granulated sugar, or sweetener of choice
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- 1-2 tsp. red pepper flakes, optional, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp. crushed fennel seeds
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Cashew Ricotta
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water 4-8 hours, drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp. unflavored soy or almond milk
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 lb. firm or extra firm tofu, drained
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions, until al dente. Drain in a colander and return to the pot. Toss with a few dashes of olive oil to avoid sticking.
- Make the Mushroom Lentil Sauce
- Coat the bottom of a large pot with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and place over medium heat. Add mushrooms in as even a layer as possible. Cook until tender and lightly browned, flipping once, about 6 minutes total. Remove from pot and transfer to a plate.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to the pot and place back over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute more.
- Return mushrooms to pot, and add Redpack Crushed Tomatoes, Redpack Diced Tomatoes, lentils, sugar, vinegar, basil, red pepper flakes and fennel. Bring to a simmer. Cover and allow to cook until lentils are tender but not mushy, about 35 minutes, uncovering and stirring occasionally.
- Remove cover and cook about 3 minutes more, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens just a bit. Remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Make the Tofu Ricotta
- While sauce simmers, place cashews, milk and lemon juice into food processor bowl.
- Blend until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl as needed (don't stress if you can't get it perfectly smooth).
- Add tofu, onion, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper to bowl. Pulse until blended and a ricotta-like texture is achieved, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl as needed.
Make the Mushroom Lentil Lasagna
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Ladle about 1/2 cup of mushroom lentil sauce into the bottom of a 9 inch by 13 inch baking pan. Arrange a layer of 3 or 4 noodles into the bottom of the pan.
- Top with one third of cashew ricotta mixture, then a fourth of remaining mushroom lentil sauce.
- Repeat until the last of the noodles and cashew ricotta are used, finishing with a layer of noodles (four layers of noodles total), and then top with the last of the mushroom lentil sauce.
- Cover and bake until bubbly, 30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to sit for 10 minutes before cutting.
Follow my PINTEREST ACCOUNT in Chloe Ditan
Source : https://www.connoisseurusveg.com/vegan-mushroom-lentil-lasagna