PREP TIME: 8 MINUTES TOTAL TIME: 8 MINUTES SERVINGS: 1 CUP CALORIES: 73 KCAL
A delicious dairy-free cheese sauce, perfect for pastas, pizzas and more! Feel free to halve the recipe if you want a smaller portion.
- 150 g raw cashew nuts soaked overnight in water
- 30 g nutritional yeast flakes if using powder, you can use slightly less*
- 1 tbsp white miso (Optional)**
- 1 tsp garlic powder or fresh minced garlic
- 1 tsp onion powder or fresh minced onion
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 240 ml dairy-free milk (unsweetened)
- Drain the cashews and discard the water they were soaked in.
- Add to a high-powered blender along with the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Add more almond milk, if needed to create the desired consistency. I like it when it's thick but runs off the spoon.
- Use straight away or add to a container and store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
*Nutritional yeast is a deactivated yeast with a natural cheesy flavour. You can find it in most health food shops or online and it's not expensive.
**White miso paste really helps give that fermented cheese flavour. It can be found in health food shops or Asian supermarkets. I buy mine from my local supermarket in the Asian food aisle. You can use brown miso instead, if you wish.
Follow my PINTEREST ACCOUNT in Chloe Ditan
Source : http://wallflowerkitchen.com/cashew-cheese-sauce/