- 1 (16.25 oz.) box white cake mix
- 1 (3.4 oz.) box vanilla instant pudding mix
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 c. water
- 3/4 c. canola or vegetable oil
- 1 c. sour cream or plain greek yogurt
- 2 tsp. almond extract, divided
- 7-8 drops red food coloring
- 1/4 c. chopped maraschino cherries, drained
- 6 drops green food coloring
- 3 Tbl. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 12 Tbl. unsalted butter, room temperature
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 c. powdered sugar
- 1 Tbl. milk, plus more if needed
- a few drops green food coloring, opt.
- maraschino cherries with the stems, for garnish, opt.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine dry cake mix, dry pudding mix, eggs, water, oil and sour cream or greek yogurt. Mix together until smooth and creamy. Divide cake batter evenly between three bowls. To one of the bowls, stir in 1 teaspoon almond extract, red food coloring and chopped maraschino cherries; set aside. To the second bowl, stir in the remaining 1 teaspoon almond extract and green food coloring; set aside. To the third bowl, stir in the cocoa powder and vanilla.
- Drop spoonfuls of cake batter into a greased 9x13-inch cake pan, rotating flavors. You want spoonfuls of each flavor throughout the entire pan. Tap cake pan on counter a few times to flatten out the batter, do not swirl. Bake in preheated oven for 30-33 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely and top with frosting.
- For the Buttercream: In a large bowl, combine butter, salt, almond extract and vanilla extract and mix together until smooth and creamy. Add one cup of powdered sugar and mix until combined. Add remaining powdered sugar, one cup at a time, adding a little milk as needed until frosting is smooth and creamy and reaches desired consistency. Mix in green food coloring, if adding. Spread over cooled cake and garnish with maraschino cherries, if desired.
Jenn's Notes: The pistachio flavor comes from almond extract. Almond extract has the same flavor as pistachio pudding mix. However, you can always add a few Tablespoons of pistachio pudding to the green batter and some chopped pistachios, if you prefer.
Follow my PINTEREST ACCOUNT in Chloe Ditan
Source : http://www.eatcakefordinner.net/2017/05/spumoni-cake.html