Prep Time: 20 mins Cook Time: 50 mins Yield: 10 Category: Entree, Dinner, Savory Cuisine: Vegan
Hearty and satisfying vegan meatloaf. This deliciously simple comfort food is richly flavored and glazed with a sweet and spicy tomato sauce. Wonderful served either hot or cold.
For the Vegan Meatloaf:
- 2 14oz (425g) Cans Chickpeas
- 1 Onion (finely chopped)
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Crushed Garlic
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 Cups Vegan Breadcrumbs*
- 2 Tbsp Sweet Chili Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 Tbsp Ground Flaxseed Meal
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 3 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
For the Tomato Glaze:
- 1/2 cup (130g) Tomato Paste
- 2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Golden Syrup (or sub Maple Syrup)
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- Fresh Basil (Optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Spray a loaf pan with non-stick spray and line a loaf pan with parchment paper so that the meatloaf can be easily lifted out. Set aside.
- Drain the chickpeas and add one of the cans of chickpeas to the food processor with the chopped onion and soy sauce and process until mixed in. You are not trying to make it smooth (i.e. you are not trying to turn it into hummus!), just trying to get it to be roughly mixed. Transfer this into a mixing bowl.
- Add the other can of drained chickpeas to the food processor with the olive oil and process until the chickpeas are just broken up. Transfer to the mixing bowl.
- Add in the crushed garlic, garlic powder, breadcrumbs, sweet chili sauce, dijon mustard, flaxseed meal, nutritional yeast, tomato paste and cayenne pepper. Mix into a thick batter. Transfer this into the parchment lined loaf pan and smooth down with the back of a spoon.
- Mix the tomato paste, brown sugar, syrup, garlic powder, soy sauce and paprika in a bowl and stir together. Spoon this over the top of the meatloaf and spread it evenly around.
- Place into the oven and bake for 50 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before removing from the loaf pan by lifting the meatloaf out with the parchment paper.
- Slice and serve with fresh basil.
*I made my own breadcrumbs by using 4 slices of wholewheat bread and breaking them up and adding to the blender and blending at slow speed until crumbs. This made around 2 cups of breadcrumbs. You can make your own as I did, or use a store-bought vegan version.
*Recipe inspired by Connoisseurus Veg and Simple Vegan Blog.
Follow my PINTEREST ACCOUNT in Chloe Ditan
Source : https://lovingitvegan.com/vegan-meatloaf/