Prep Time 15 mins
Cook Time 45 mins
Total Time 1 hr
Vegan cheese quesadilla filled with Mexican spiced tofu, rice, more vegan cheese and chipotle crema. Rolled into a burrito and baked!
Course: Main Course
Author: Lauren Hartmann
- 1/2 C. White rice, uncooked
- 1/2 Block Extra firm tofu
- 2 tsp. Olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. Chili powder
- 1 tsp. Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. Paprika
- 1/2 tsp. Onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- pinch of cayenne
- 1 C. Vegan cheese shreds, I used Follow Your Heart
- 4 Large tortillas
- 2 Tbsp. Cilantro
- 1/2 C. Vegan mayo
- 1 Chipotle in adobo, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Cumin
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic powder
- Juice of 1 Lime
- First start by making the rice. You want 1/2 uncooked, so you will have about a cup when it is cooked. Cook rice according to package instructions.
- While the rice is cooking, make the tofu. Taking 1/2 a block of tofu, squeeze the tofu over the sink to try to get a lot of the liquid out of it. Try not to crumble it into the sink, but if it starts to break, no worries, you will be doing that anyways!
- Now heat the olive oil in a non stick skillet on medium high. Now crumble the tofu into the skillet, breaking up larger pieces with a wooden spoon. Saute the tofu until it starts to get brown. 2-3 minutes. Then add the chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, salt and cayenne. Stir to coat the tofu. Saute for another minute just to cook the spices. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Once the rice is done, remove that from the heat and set aside.
- Now make your quesadilla, you want to just melt the cheese and not brown the quesadilla, or it won't roll easily. Heat a non stick pan on medium low, add one tortilla, then cover with half of the cheese, spread evenly. Cover with a top and melt a bit. Now add a tiny bit of water to help it steam. Cover.
- Once the cheese has melted a bit. Top with the other tortilla, press down. Flip for just a second to make sure the tortillas hold together. Then remove from the pan. Repeat with the other tortillas and remaining cheese to make another soft quesadilla.
- Now preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Next, make the chipotle creama. Just add all the crema ingredients to a small mixing bowl and whisk together.
- Once the quesadillas have cooled enough to handle. Take one, fill with a little bit of rice, a bit of tofu, a little more vegan cheese, the chipotle crema and some cilantro.
- Now fold in the ends, and roll into a burrito. Repeat with other quesadilla. Then either place the burritos on a pan, or wrap them in foil. Then bake at 375 degrees for 5-7 minutes until they are all nice and warm and crispy.
- Now eat them!!!!!!!
It is pretty important to use a non stick skillet for the tofu or it will probably stick to the bottom.
You can always microwave the quesadillas if you want. That would keep them soft as well.
Follow my PINTEREST ACCOUNT in Chloe Ditan
Source : https://www.rabbitandwolves.com/vegan-quesaritos/